Translate

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Basotho English-isms


A volunteer who finished his time here soon after I arrived said that Peace Corps volunteers learn two languages when they come here: Sesotho and Basotho English. At the time it struck me as a kind of arrogant thing to say, but after being here for eight months, I can say definitively that he was absolutely correct. What follows is a list of commonly used phrases here that either made me laugh or go “wah?” until I understood what they meant.

“Madame, I am asking for the keys”, instead of actually asking.

Do you use the lentils?”, meaning, “do you eat lentils?”

The noise was for us”, meaning, “it was us making the noise.”
Similarly, It is the shirt/ball/exercise book for Thabang means  “it is Thabang’s shirt.”

Silly” is a negative word here, meaning stupid or lazy or careless.

Overuse of the word, “just”, as in “Where are you going?” “I’m just going to Mapaseka’s house.”

Will you borrow me your pen?”

Saying “Famous” to mean “popular.”

You are like so wow” basically means you look goooooood.

“ahch, these people”( said in a dismissive tone), referring to the kids we teach. It’s just kind of a general way of dismissing student’s abilities.  

…and here’s something for kicks that my friend Khutsi said the other day: “I will see you when I look at you”.


Here are the winners in grade 5 and 6 of the most checks on my behavioral/participation chart. Their reward is getting their picture hung up in the classroom, which they LOVE

The group names that they chose for themselves are the captions.

Kentucky

Fish and Chips

Brazil

So the Basotho English thing definitely makes teaching proper English difficult, but the kiddos make it worth it.

Khotso. 








No comments:

Post a Comment